Why we need more Clexacons



This past March, I had the honor of attending the very first, Clexacon. I wanted to wait to write my thoughts until after the conference was over and I had time to gather my thoughts, darn things run around like mice in my head sometimes.  :) This is a conference dedicated to Queer representation in media. As both a publisher and a writer, it was invigorating, rejuvenating and fun to see so many people gather around a singular idea. Representation. While this might not seem like a big theme to most, queer representation is sorely lacking in many facets of mainstream media. Queer cons are more important today than ever, as we are marginalized in the media, in politics and by our own government. The atmosphere at these cons is warm, welcoming and open to all who have a love for queer everything. The chasm is often seen as growing and with events like Clexacon, they help bring queer media to the forefront. In lesbian fiction we see it, we feel it, and we know when we’re being marginalized. Just look at some of the biggest novels to date. Where are we? There are plenty of mainstream writers that are lesbians, but that’s a blog for another day.

The booth at Clexacon!
As an author of 13 books and the founder of Sapphire Books Publishing, it always surprises me that many young queer women haven’t read lesbian fiction. The attendees at Clexacon were familiar with Fanfiction. I love talking about fanfic with excited readers, but to know that there is published lesbian fiction out there surprised many. I had the honor of attending the last Xena con and it made me realize that there is a whole tribe of women like me who love fanfic out there. Like Xena con, this conference was no different in that it had some awesome talent that adapted their favorite characters and stories into something much more than just a take-off of a series. You see there’s a whole other world of fanfic that supports, nurtures, and provides an outlet to those that move a series past its pull date. The fans are what keep the shows, the movies and the stories alive. Moreover, I was thrilled to meet some of those artists, Cosplayers, and storytellers. Many of Sapphire’s own authors got their start in fanfic and built a dedicated following through it.

Stars from Wynonna Earp
I was fortunate enough to give a presentation called – Moving from Fanfic to Lesfic. The room burgeoned with excited fanfic authors, readers and writers who wanted to know how to move their work forward for publishing. Their energy was amazing, their questions were insightful, but more importantly they understood the expanding world around them, ready to consume them as much as they were ready to consume it.

Like any conference, the sadist part is closing it down. Clexacon introduced us to some amazing women. I bought a great shirt from our conference buddies, Geeks Out. I love my “The Bechdel-Wallace Test” T-shirt staring Margot and Lux. (If you don’t know what the Bechdel test is, google it. It’s amazing that it still is relevant this many years later.) This crew was fun, excited and provided some of the best laughs of the day. I met some great artists and added to my collection of lesbian art that hangs on my walls at home. That’s what a conference does, it allows you to connect to like-minded people who see the world the way you do, live in a world that you live in and want the same things from that world. It also helps me recharge my batteries, so to speak. I come back with an energy and excitement that makes me wish I could go to twenty Clexacon's a year.
Clexacon did a great job at its first conference. The staff were great. A big shout out to Holly and Danielle for getting Sapphire situated and hooked up at the venue. It had a few first year glitches, but nothing that took away from the conference experience. I look forward to attending next year, April 5 – 8th in Vegas. So go to their website, check out their stuff and make it a point to be part of a great energy, amazing people and a great conference.


Isabella

P.S. What kind of conferences do you go to that help you recharge your batteries?
Image of Isabella's book Razor's Edge.


Comments

  1. To do Not Pressure OR Anything, But Have Ever This considered post there is statement PT Lampung Service this is a
    Service HP Bandar Lampung whose looking to do day
    Service iPhone Lampung to this looking then to out standing that is
    Business Of Luxury Design I will try it.
    Jasa Kursus Service HP They have jumping places and so that the device other kid's activity.Youtuber Lampung ,

    Thanks ! Visit Back Subscribel Here ->Youtuber Lampung <-


    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Why releasing a book is like having a baby.

A love affair with words